Français Deutsch Nederlands English
Home Contact Legal Sitemap
Syndicat d'initiative Vianden
Indian Forest
News

SEO

 

THE HYDRO-ELECTRIC PUMPING INSTALLATION in Vianden is the biggest in Europe.
Already in 1925 first studies were made concerning a potential hydroelectric use of the Our. A 106-meter-high barrage was to be built near Stolzembourg, but the project failed because of the political difficulties of those days.

The studies were taken up again after World War II. In 1951 the "Societe Electrique de l'Our" (SEO) was constituted, its main shareholders being the State of Luxembourg and the " RheinischWestfälisches Elektrizitätswerk A.G." (RWE). Works were begun in 1959, and the hydroelectric pumping installation was inaugurated in 1964.

This hydroelectric power station consists of an artificial lake joined to the two upper reservoirs by a system of two screened wells being 6 -. 6.50 metres in diameter, 625 resp. 856 metres in length and leading the water to an underground power-house that is 330 metres long and is situated in the heart of Mount St. Nicholas.

Being 8 km long and having a capacity of more than 6 million m3 of water, the artificial lake spreads from the dam in Vianden to Stolzembourg. At night, and thanks to cheap off-peak electricity, the water gathered in the lower lake is pumped into the two upper reservoirs of 6 million m3, situated on the top of Mount St. Nicholas, 750 f t above the valley. During peak hours, the water gathered in the upper reservoirs falls on the nine groups of machines, each one consisting of a turbine, a motor-generator and a pump, thus producing peak energy of high quality.

A tenth machine, a pump turbine of 200000 k W, installed in a lateral valley near the " Bildchen" in 1970, is connected to the upper reservoir by a screened channel having a diameter of 4.50 and a length of 1 375 metres.

The Hydro-Electric plant of Vianden. 
The Underground power-plant is open daily from 10.00 a.m. to 4.00 p.m.
From Easter to 30.9 from 10.00 a.m. to 8.00 p.m.

FREE ENTRANCE



Guided visit by written request at the folling address:

S.E.O. Centrale de Vianden
B.P. 2
L-9401 Vianden
Tel.:(+352) 84 90 31-1
Fax:(+352) 84 90 31 - 200